Monday, August 5, 2013

What's Happening

After months of stressing because Andrew is resisting ABA therapy .... Hardcore resisting....  Shaking head no, signing "all done", saying "no,no, no, no, no!" Over and over.   And losing play skills when our primary goal has been to teach him to PLAY, we have had to make some tough decisions. 

Through my research, I found an alternative therapy to ABA.  Through fate, my sweet friend Eileen happened to know someone who has done the program. 

The rest was basically convincing Michael.   But it didn't take much, because there aren't a lot of choices, not good ones!!  We can continue forcing ABA down his throat and be stressed before, during , and after those many hours each week.... Or we could find something else. 

Our therapists are Angels.  They've supported me over this last year in ways you can't imagine unless you've been there. They are autism experts, they've worked with dozens and dozens of kids with special needs, and I have only ever known one: my son.  They've assured me and lifted me up day after day after day.  I adore each of these women, and it will be hard to say goodbye.  What they do for a living, it's a special calling, and you have to be a special person to do it. 

But it's time for something different for Andrew.   It's called SonRise.   The idea, very simplified, is that you must join the child in his world, build trust and love with intensity, and he will venture into your world with you. 

I know. Sounds a little kooky.  But if you spend any amount of time watching the videos of these therapists break through with these kids, you will believe.  

Many recover and go on to a life without autism. This therapy requires their brains. 

I go to the training in October.  More to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment